Tuesday, March 22, 2011

day 28, recipe 28: Best Salisbury Steak

Here's another recipe I've heard of, but never had. Sure, I've seen it in the frozen section at the grocery store but never really given it a second thought. I wanted to do something with ground beef today and didn't want anything involving cheese, tortillas, tomato sauce or pasta and I remembered this little gem. Knowing my boy had only the frozen variety to compare it to, I thought I found a winner. After eating this delicious (easy!) dish, I'm sad that I hadn't discovered it sooner.

1 1/2 lbs                   ground beef
1 envelope                dry onion soup mix, divided ( I prefer Selection brand to Lipton, I find it less salty & more mild )
1/4 C                       dry bread crumbs
1 egg                       lightly beaten
2 T                          vegetable oil
1 1/2 C                     water
6-8                          fresh white mushrooms, sliced

In a bowl, combine ground beef, 1 tablespoon of the soup mix, bread crumbs and egg. Lightly stir together to ensure even mixing of all ingredients. Shape into 4 patties & let sit in the fridge for an hour.
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Brown the patties on both sides, remove from skillet & drain the excess fat.

Return meat to skillet and add remaining soup mix & flour. Slowly stir in water and mushrooms. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes. Serve patties over egg noodles smothered in gravy & vegetables. Mmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment