Thursday, March 10, 2011

day 17, recipe 14: Asian Inspired Peanut Porkchops

A girl I know sent me a link to a blog of similar goals- hers happened to be 365 days of slow cooking. I had pulled out boneless pork tenderloin chops yesterday and was eager to use them up in an unconventional way. My mom was quick to point out that we all tend to fall into ruts of cooking- using our favorite ingredients to flavor dishes. I agree- a meal prepared with garlic and onion to me usually just won't make the cut. And on the opposite end of the spectrum, anything containing cilentro gets a quick nay-nay.
This contains both of my staples, but also threw me for a curb. I made it almost 100% to the recipe- my only substitution was the pork chops for pork tenderloin. Granted, that definitely affected my overall cooking time, but the results were still fabulous! It doesn't sound like much, but it yielded amazing results.

4               boneless pork chops, trimmed of all fat
1/4 C         soya sauce
1/4 C         brown sugar
3 T            white wine vinegar
3 T            water
2               garlic cloves, mined
1 med        onion, cut into rings
1/2 C         all natural smooth peanut butter

Arrange onion rings along the bottom of the slow cooker to completely cover. Lay chops over top. Pour soya sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, water, garlic and peanut butter overtop- don't worry about stirring, the peanut butter needs to melt. Turn slow cooker on to low setting and cook for 4-5 hours. Serve over rice with my indian inspired steamed broccoli!

Normally, the low setting is reserved for cooking times of 8-10 hours. I'd imagine if one were to use a 4 pound pork tenderloin, a longer cooking time would be needed. My chops were still moderately juicy and bursting with a nutty flavor, but I would decrease the cooking time to 4 hours maximum for those chops on the thinner side. Sauce base would also be delicious on top of chicken!

No comments:

Post a Comment