Saturday, March 12, 2011

day 18, recipe 17: honey glazed ham

Easter is coming & if you don't have a huge family to feed- or just don't want to be bothered with the whole turkey 'thang, ham is a great alternative. You can buy fully cooked, smoked hams for about $8, that'll more then feed two people. I even had a little bit left over to scramble into some eggs this morning. This was good but to be honest, smelled horrible the first few hours. The cider vinegar was such a strong odour that when I actually tasted the glaze overtop the ham, I was shocked that it wasn't more dominant. My "glaze" didn't thicken up during cooking, so it was more just a liquid to boil & give extra flavour. I sliced up the ham after 6 hours and returned to the slow cooker for another 30 minutes on high so that each slice would be fully glazed. Mmm. Definitely a keeper, I only wish I'd saved it for Easter now.

4-5 lb              ham, boneless or bone-in (smoked, fully cooked is what I used)
1/4 C               butter
1/4 C               cider vinegar
1/4 C               honey
1 t                   Worcestershire sauce
1 T                  brown sugar
2 t                   dried thyme

Put your ham into your slow cooker. Melt the butter in a pot on the stove over medium-low heat. Remove from heat and add vinegar, honey, worcestershire sauce, sugar & thyme. Mix together, pour over ham and turn slow cooker on to low for 6-7 hours. The ham bastes itself, and turns out awesome! I rotated my ham a few times during cooking, and spooned some of the juices overtop each time.

No comments:

Post a Comment