Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day 16, Recipe 13; Slow cooker to the rescue! (Chicken in Onion Gravy)

I found that this morning, I was endlessly searching for slow cooker recipes to compile for my return to work next week. Surely, if I plan on continuing this 365 day challenge, I'll need a roster of fall back slow cooker recipes to sustain the days that I work later then 7pm.
I sent out a small grocery list with my boy, naming a few household staples- if you can cook, a variety of fresh veggies, garlic, canned soups and meats can make satisfying meals on any budget. One thing I haven't really experimented with is onion soup mix. So, I present- chicken thighs with onion gravy in a slow cooker. Mmmm.

1-2 lbs                bone in, skin on chicken thighs
1 medium            onion, diced
2                         carrots, diced
2-3 medium          potatoes, skin on, scrubbed & diced into small cubes
1 can                   cream of celery
1                         soup can of water
1                         envelope onion soup mix
3 t                       corn starch
1/4 C                   water

Coat your slow cooker with vegetable oil spray. Layer onion, carrot and potatoes at the bottom. Place chicken thighs over top. Pour envelope of onion soup mix over chicken, then add cream of celery and water. Stir to mix and settle contents. Mix corn starch and 1/4 cup of water; stir into slow cooker.
Turn slow cooker onto high and cook for 4-5 hours, until chicken has cooker.
Serve overtop egg noodles, fettucine or rice with a green salad. Also makes a fabulous gravy/meal over mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment