Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Day One, Recipe One: Potato, Egg and Sausage Casserole

So, here we are! First recipe of my challenge. This one I got from my mom after scouring the internet for hours looking for something to do with leftover sausage I have in the fridge. First day and I'm scoring two points off my recipe list...not too shabby! This casserole recipe calls for a Hungarian sausage link but I'm left with mild italian sausages so they'll have to do! The recipe makes a 9x13 pan but adjust according to your needs.

6          medium potatoes, skin on
6          large eggs, hardboiled
1          link of hungarian sausage, fully cooked & sliced.
1/4 C    butter, melted
1 t        salt
1/4 t     black pepper
1 C       sour cream
1/4 C    milk
1 C       bread crumbs (or crushed crackers, whatever you have)
3 T       melted butter

Prepare the large casserole dish by melting butter and covering the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle bread crumbs over the butter and set aside.
Boil potatoes in their skin until almost completely cooked but not quite. Hard boil the eggs.
Drain and cool both potatoes and eggs. Remove the skins from the potatoes and shells from the eggs. Slice and set aside in seperate bowls.
Preheat oven to 350 F. To assemble your casserole, begin with a layer of sliced potatoes, then sausage and then sliced eggs. Put a dollop of sour cream on top of each egg layer, using about 1/2 cup of sour cream for this step. Repeat process ensuring to end with a layer of potato on top.
Blend the remaining 1/2 cup of sour cream and milk together. Pour over casserole, ensuring even coverage. Melt the 3 tablespoons of butter, drizzle over top of casserole and sprinkle bread crumbs over top.
Bake for about 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
Serve with dill pickles and fresh bread.

This casserole is even better when reheated and served the next day, as the flavors have time to absorb and distribute.
Day one, recipe one...after this meal I think it's a safe bet that I should do a lighter, healthier recipe tomorrow. I wonder what I'll dish up!

*After Cooking Notes:
As I mentioned, I made this casserole with leftover cooked italian sausages. I used 4 medium potatoes, 4 hard boiled eggs and half a medium onion sliced. I also sprinkled paprika over the egg layer. I didn't decrease the sour cream or the milk as I prefer my casseroles to be creamy. Even though I served this with sauerkraut and steamed broccoli, my boyfriend & I still managed to eat almost the entire thing. Definitely a winner in our collection! 

★★★★/☆☆☆☆☆
4 stars out of 5 stars for yum factor.

No comments:

Post a Comment