Saturday, February 26, 2011

Day 5, Recipe 5; Pulled Pork Sandwiches

Let me start off my saying- I LOVE slow cookers. Today was my first experience using one that my mama gave me, and I can honestly say I now understand why it's such a staple in households. Turn it on, put some stuff into it and leave it be. Fan-friggen-tastic. I told my boyfriend that during this challenge I would take on pulled pork- I've never had it & he's a big fan, so I figured why not. Well- I plugged my slow cooker in to the outlet on my stove. Went back in two hours to find it was still cold. Naturally, I hopped onto google to find out how long it takes a slow cooker to heat up and was horrified to find out that it only takes about 15 minutes on high to feel noticeable heat. Oops. Blonde moment. Note to self; don't use the outlet on the stove.

1           3-4 lb pork butt or shoulder
1 1/2 C   root beer
             salt & pepper
1/4 C     onion, chopped.
1 bottle  Budweiser BBQ sauce

Season the pork with salt and pepper and place into slow cooker over the onions. Pour root beer over top. Turn the slow cooker on high and cover for one hour.
Reduce heat to low and cook for 7 hours.
Remove pork from slow cooker and trim of all fat. Pull apart with a fork and set aside.
Drain liquid from slow cooker.
Return pork to slow cooker and pour the bbq sauce over and mix. Cook for an additional hour. Serve with toasted buns & assorted garnishes of your choice.

* After discovering I had wasted two hours of precious cooking time, I went for a shortcut on cooked the pork on high for 4 hours and then added the bbq sauce, cooking on low for an additional hour. The pork was tasty, and melted in my mouth.Having nothing to compare it to, I'd say this was a success from both a slow cooker and recipe standpoint.

★★★★.5/☆☆☆☆☆
4.5 out of 5 for yum factor!

No comments:

Post a Comment