Thursday, February 24, 2011

Day 3, Recipe 3: S'Mores Granola Bars

So, I am definitely not one would classify an "experienced baker". Betty Crocker sells it in a box, I add the eggs and oil and voila- here's your damn cake, eat it.
Unfortunately, today I don't have any cake mix laying around and my sweet tooth is swearing at me. I took a quick inventory of what I did have laying around and set out to find a recipe that would satisfy. Now, there's probably a few reasons why I don't bake from scratch.
Reason #1- I don't ever have baking soda or cake flour just laying around.
Reason #2- I don't like the limited substitutions available for these things. If I don't have baking soda, why would the automatic assumption be that I would have baking powder and molasses? C'mon.
Anyways, A LOT of recipes I came across called for things that you wouldn't just find in your cupboard in the tiny section designated for "baking supplies". I know it's just as easy to run off to Metro and pick a few things up, but in my case, I'm one foot down with two crutches.

I found a recipe that sounded too good to pass up but I was missing one thing- maple syrup. The information warns not to use artificial (pancake) syrup but as we've already discovered I'm not a baker & I like to bend the rules. So I used light pancake syrup in my bars and I found they were still fantastic. What's life if you don't live a little, eh?

6 T               unsalted butter
1/4 C            light brown sugar
1/3 C + 1T    maple syrup
1/2 C            all purpose flour
2 C               old fashioned rolled oats
1 C               graham cracker crumbs
1/4 C            sweetened or unsweetened coconut
1/2 t             salt
1/4 t             cinnamon

Filling:
1 C              semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 C         mini marshmellow

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
Melt butter, brown sugar and maple syrup in a pan until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat.
In a large bowl, mix flour, oats, graham cracker crumbs, coconut, salt and cinnamon. Pour butter mixture into bowl and stir ensuring all the dry mix is coated in butter.
Pour half the oat mixture into a 9x9 pan and press down to set. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
Sprinkle the marshmellows and chocolate chips on top of the mixture in the pan. Pour remaining crumb mix over top and pat down to set.
Bake in the pre-heated oven for 15 minutes. Remove and allow to cool for 20 minutes, cutting into squares while they are still warm.
If stored in an air-tight container, these will keep for 7-10 days...If they last that long ; ) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment