Friday, February 25, 2011

Day 4, Recipe 4: Homemade Light Pizza Dough- v 1.0 [part 1/2]

Let me start off this edition by saying... I now understand why people pick up their phones and order a pizza. For as little time and almost even less pennies, you can have a deliciously greasy, ready to eat slab on your table in under 30 minutes. From the minute I decided to take on this recipe, I knew I was in trouble.
Problem rose (or failed to rise, as did my dough for the first hour) and I was left thinking dinner was totally ruined. I'm posting the original recipe, with notes following on improvements I'd make going forward.

2- 2 1/4 C          all purpose flour
1  t                    instant or rapid-rise yeast
1/2 t                  salt
3/4 C                 warm water (110 degrees)*

Pulse 2 cups of the flour, yeast and salt together in a food processor** to combine. With the processor running, pour the water through the feed tube and process until a rough ball forms, 30 to 40 seconds. Let dough rest two minutes, the process for 30 seconds longer. If after 30 seconds, the dough is sticky and clings to the blade, add the remaining 1/4 cup of flour, tablespoon by tablespoon as needed.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured counter and form it into a smooth, round ball. Lightly coat a bowl with vegetable oil spray and place the dough into the bowl. Lightly coat a sheet of plastic wrap with the oil spray and cover the bowl tightly. Let rise in a warm place*** until doubled in size, 1 to 1 1/2 hours, before using.

*; what is 110 degrees? I don't own a meat thermometer and it doesn't specify that I use one to check the temperature so luke warm tap water wins this round. Seriously, s-i-m-p-l-i-f-y.
**; I don't own a food processor. I have a hand mixer and an emulsion blender. I searched all over the internet for variations of this recipe & they all seemed to call for a food processor. Tough patooties, I'm using my hand mixer.
***; Warm place? What does that mean? I placed the bowl on top of my stove while it was busy pre-heating to 500 degrees F, seemed to do the trick. I also covered the bowl with a dish towel.

No comments:

Post a Comment