Wednesday, April 6, 2011

day 40, recipe 41: Cuban Pork Roast with Mojo Crillo

This was way different then any pork roast I've ever done, but in a good way. It was definitely a nice change & that's what this challenge is all about. The fact that we had already eaten our side dishes more then 20 minutes before this roast was done was a little disappointing, but hey- that's urban cooking for ya. Live and learn, or buy a meat thermometer. Recipe from Canadian Living.

1             boneless pork rib roast, 3-4 pounds
2             garlic cloves, slivered
1/2 C       orange juice
1/4 C       lime juice (i used concentrated)
1/4 C       lemon juice (ditto)
2 T          extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp        each cumin, pepper, and dried oregano
3/4 C       chicken broth

Cut slits around pork & insert garlic slivers. Whisk together all other ingredients except chicken stock, pour over pork & place into a large resealable bag. Place in the fridge for 4-24 hours (the longer, the better), turning occasionally.
Place roast & marinade in a roasting pan and cover, roasting at 325 degrees F for 1 hour. Uncover, baste & continue cooking for another hour. Broil until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
Remove from pan and place on to a cutting board. Loosely tent with aluminum foil and let rest for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile skim fat from pan juices and add enough chicken broth to make 1 1/4 cups of sauce. More broth if you want it less tangy.

Well, typing out this recipe I know now where I went wrong. Before I started in on it, I knew it was going to take 2 hours but for some reason I pulled it out and tented it after an hour and a half. Paying attention is the key to success. I don't have a picture of the cooked roast because I was pretty much over it by time I served it- BUT! I went to metro yesterday and just about fell over when I saw the price of them! We bought two roasts and froze them a few weeks ago when they were on sale. I paid $4.57 for the same exact roast (weight, type). Check out the price this week.

yay for being a smart shopper! I would have been royally pissed if I paid $20 and my roast didn't take center stage about dinner time!

No comments:

Post a Comment